As many of you are already aware, we are expecting some extremely hot weather next week. Many of you have been asking about our plans for dealing with this hot weather.
We have consulted Department for Education (DfE) and Croydon guidance and we can confirm that the school will be open on Monday and Tuesday, despite the hot weather. This is not the school’s choice, schools must remain open according to the DfE.
In line with the guidance, we are putting several things in place and hope that you will also help to keep everyone safe and comfortable during the hot weather.
The school will:
- Ensure children stay out of the sun between 11am and 3pm
- Cancel PE to ensure that children are not physically exerted
- Ensure children have access to cold water throughout the day
- Do everything possible to make sure that classrooms remain cool
- Prepare cold school lunches with high water content
As parents/carers, we are asking that you:
- Send your child to school with a water bottle
- Ensure your child wears sunscreen and a sun hat to school
- Send your child to school in loose-fitting cotton clothes – we have advised all children to wear PE kit to school
- If your child has a packed lunch, please ensure that these are cold foods, like salads and fruit with a high water content
- Ensure your child takes cool showers or baths at home
We are hoping that, working together, we can ensure that these days are bearable and comfortable for everyone in school!