Yesterday we had a representative from the NSPCC who came in a delivered a workshop to parents about how to keep their children safe online.
The main points were:
- Check out the apps and sites that your children are using
- Talk about the age ratings – www.net-aware.org.uk is an easy to use website that allows you to look up different websites and apps and gives a breakdown as to why they may have been given that age rating.
- Set up parental controls – www.internetmatters.org gives more information about how to set up controls at home on different devices.
- Speak to an O2 guru – you don’t have to be with O2 – you can make an appointment to speak to someone at an O2 shop about how to put parental controls on different devices.
- YouTubeKids – kids.youtube.com is an app that can be downloaded onto a tablet or phone and lets children watch age appropriate videos without the worry that something inappropriate may accidentally come up.
- NSPCC helpline: 0800 800 5000, nspcc.org.uk/help